[Haskell-cafe] Why Haskell is beautiful to the novice

Alexey Muranov alexey.muranov at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 08:41:52 UTC 2015

IMO, what attracts a big part of kids to programming is the possibility to
program side effects. It seems to me that Haskell takes a big care to "seal
off" the side effects and does it in a nontrivial way. This may complicate
introduction to programming. Telling the kids to "just use the IO monad and
don't worry want a 'monad' is, it is just a magic word, it comes from
Category Theory, don't try to understand, just follow me" might not be a
good way to teach.

I've seen assembly language mentioned here, and what attracted me to it,
when i was a kid, was the possibility to program "side effects" explicitly.
Even if i could not observe those side effects, like change of a register
value, directly, they could be tested indirectly.

Alexey.