[Haskell-cafe] Why Haskell is beautiful to the novice

Alberto G. Corona agocorona at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 23:01:20 UTC 2015

Not exactly aesthetic. if any, the effect is an aestetic  recharged and
baroque. I think that all programming languages fall in a kind of religion
when they are in fashion. And  religion this is not what a languages are is
made for. A language is a tool whose rules of beauty must be simplicity and
understandability as well as composability.

 It is not a tool for personal exhibition neither an excuse for the
formation of closed groups of initiated. In which case, simplicity,
understandability and composability is what that second kind of people will
oppose as much as they can.

In practice everything is a mix of both, and programming languages are not
an exception. Haskell is in fashion so...

> quoth "Alberto G. Corona " <agocorona at gmail.com>
>
> > I think that Haskell has a lot of accidental complexity in many areas.
> > There is a kind of pseudo-mathematical cargo cult that make some problems
> > artificially difficult.
>
> Perhaps that's an esthetic thing, does this struggle make it more
> beautiful?
>
>         Donn

Alberto.