[Haskell-cafe] Alternative to newtypes or orphan instances

Miguel Mitrofanov miguelimo38 at yandex.ru
Mon Aug 24 10:38:21 UTC 2015

OK. There is no point in having a class C, if there is no functions to work with it. So, this "other package" likely contains some functions that take types (of that class) as input. Like this:

foo :: C a => a -> Int

You don't need class C if you aren't using any functions from the library. So, with your (c), if you try to do

a :: T
a = ...

b :: Int
b = foo a

you'll get a compile error. THAT is the problem.