[Haskell-cafe] List of nitpicks

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Sat Aug 22 14:31:32 UTC 2015

On 08/22/2015 03:33 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 6:23 AM, Johannes Waldmann <
> johannes.waldmann at htwk-leipzig.de> wrote:
>
>> I believe that (PatternSignatures and) ScopedTypeVariables
>> should be on by default. It is currently off only to help those
>> that are too lazy to write "forall t . " in (inner) declarations?
>>

> More because the language committee is ridiculously conservative. I think
> this is Public Enemy Number One as far as extensions that really ought to
> be part of the standard by now.

I can only second that.

I seems to me that trying to have the default experience in GHC be some
sort of Haskell2010 pseudo-standard is not useful[1]. I happen to
believe that standards without more than one serious implementor are a
terrible way to move things along. Let's *exploit* the fact that there
is only one[2] really viable compiler at this precise moment in time,
and move things forward more rapidly!

[1] I believe there were some AMP things in base/Prelude which mean that
GHC-by-default is not technically Haskell2010.

[2] I realize that there's JHC, UHC, etc., but let's face it... unless
those compilers implement most of the GHC extensions, then you're not
going to get anything substantial (e.g. lens) to compile with those
compilers.

Regards,