[Haskell-cafe] Reactive config file generation

David Turner dct25-561bs at mythic-beasts.com
Thu Aug 20 23:47:51 UTC 2015

Hi Heinrich (and other helpful souls),

Thanks for the replies. I started out this response with an attempt to give
more detail in the hope of explaining why I thought this was rather more
complicated than it first appears: at least, applying a new config is
expensive so idempotence isn't very helpful.

However, in the process of writing this I came to the conclusion that there
is a rather simple, if slightly inelegant solution. I can write some code
which generates the initial config and also logs what nodes in ZK were read
or enumerated; by keeping this log I can watch for updates and if anything
is updated then I can re-generate the whole config, compare it for equality
against the previous config, and apply the new config if needs be.

I call this slightly inelegant because I was kind of hoping to be able to
re-run just the part of the config-generation function that was downstream
of the update that fired. On reflection, this seems unnecessarily frugal -
these are not large configs I'm dealing with, so not worth much effort to
cut out the extra computation.

I suppose this is in some sense a poor-man FRP? But it'll do for me and
does seem rather simple.

Many thanks,

David