[Haskell-cafe] an idea for modifiyng data/newtype syntax: use `::=` instead of `=`

amindfv at gmail.com amindfv at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 23:21:43 UTC 2015

El Aug 8, 2015, a las 19:01, Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga at gmail.com> escribió:

> On 8 August 2015 at 14:46, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 8, 2015 at 5:27 PM, Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> So when is it okay? :-) Still, if proper tooling automates it, why not?
>>
>> Because your tooling does not rewire people's brains and does not
>> automatically run itself on other people's programs when you *look* at them.
>
> I don't think we need to "rewire" our brains to accommodate a few
> language tweaks. The haskell-fix tool I had in mind would change the
> source code so you would look at the fixed code. But, yes, there would
> be a transition time. In my experience that is true for any change to
> your code base.

An analogy: Haskell's use of "::" and ":" are backwards. Most ML-style languages use ":" for types but iiuc it was assumed using cons would be so common that it should be the quicker one to type. Obviously that estimation was wrong -- we write a lot more types than conses. Annoying? Yes. Way too late and fundamental to change? Also yes.

I also disagree with the better-ness (even for beginners) of the proposed changes, but point 1 supersedes that.

tom