[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: Haskell Platform 7.10.2-a

Omari Norman omari at smileystation.com
Tue Aug 4 21:06:47 UTC 2015

Hi Mark,

Thanks for all your hard work on Haskell Platform and for keeping it up to
date.

The webpage for Linux is recommending that people use distribution
repositories.  For instance, if I click Debian, it says something like
"great news!  Platform is in your repo. Type sudo apt-get install
haskell-platform".

I think this is bad advice.  Most distribution packages will be out of
date.  Debian Stable is going to be hideously out of date.  Maybe this
issue has already been discussed?  Offhand I can think of a few other
solutions, but none of them are good.  That's the nature of trying to tell
someone how to install something on "Linux" when really there are dozens of
different unique systems and architectures.  I just think that an
unvarnished "use your package manager" is not the best advice.  Maybe add a
disclaimer of "your repo might be old; use 'Generic' to get the latest"?

For similar reasons I think it's bad advice to say under "Generic" "you
should use one of the distribution-specific options listed on the right if
possible."  As a Debian Stable user, if I were interested in Platform at
all I think I would be much better off avoiding the old one that's in the
repository.

Thanks,
Omari