[Haskell-cafe] Type error depending on scope of pattern matching

htebalaka goodingm at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 15:25:16 UTC 2015

I'm curious if anyone can tell me why moving the pattern matching in these
two examples makes it fail to compile, and what can be done to resolve the
same issue in either of the latter two examples. As far as I can tell these
should be equivalent. Unfortunately the solution used in the first examples
won't work in the later ones due to the existential quantification. I've
been asking on #haskell for a few days but haven't been able to find anyone
who knows what the issue is.

Code is available here:  http://lpaste.net/137586 <http://lpaste.net/137586>