[Haskell-cafe] dependent types, singleton types....

Nicholls, Mark nicholls.mark at vimn.com
Thu Apr 30 16:24:58 UTC 2015

Hmmm it does.....

My oo compiler would say...cannot match True against "a".... or something like.....at some point you go so far out on a (mental) limb...it just snaps.

Let me try to fix it all.

See below.

On Apr 30, 2015, at 9:34 AM, "Nicholls, Mark" <nicholls.mark at vimn.com> wrote:

> but this doesnt.
>
>> f :: SBTree a -> Integer
>> f (SBranch SZ SLeaf SLeaf) = 1
>
> but (for me) the important thing to work out is what's actually
> wrong....i.e. walk before I run and land on my face I struggle with Haskell errors.
>
> it says
>
> exerviceOnDependentTypes.lhs:42:14:
>    Could not deduce (a1 ~ SNat t0)
>    from the context (a ~ 'Branch a1 b c)
>      bound by a pattern with constructor
>                 SBranch :: forall a (b :: BTree *) (c :: BTree *).
>                            a -> SBTree b -> SBTree c -> SBTree ('Branch a b c),
>               in an equation for 'f'
>      at exerviceOnDependentTypes.lhs:42:6-27
>      'a1' is a rigid type variable bound by
>           a pattern with constructor
>             SBranch :: forall a (b :: BTree *) (c :: BTree *).
>                        a -> SBTree b -> SBTree c -> SBTree ('Branch a b c),
>           in an equation for 'f'
>           at exerviceOnDependentTypes.lhs:42:6
>    In the pattern: SZ
>    In the pattern: SBranch SZ SLeaf SLeaf
>    In an equation for 'f': f (SBranch SZ SLeaf SLeaf) = 1
>
> so its trying to work out what?
> "a" is valid in "SBTree a" in the context of the function definition "f (SBranch SZ SLeaf SLeaf) = 1" ?
> so "a" ~ "Branch a1 b c" from the defintion "SBranch :: (a :: *) -> (SBTree (b :: BTree *)) -> (SBTree (c :: BTree *)) -> SBTree ('Branch a b c)"?
> and it wants to deduce that "a1 ~ SNat t0"?
> why?

GHC is trying to type-check the pattern `SBranch SZ SLeaf SLeaf` against the type `SBTree a`. Once GHC sees the constructor `SBranch`, it knows that `a ~ 'Branch a1 b c` for some `a1`, some `b`, and some `c`. Then, it tries to type-check the pattern `SZ` against the type `a1`. For this to type-check, GHC must be convinced that `a1 ~ SNat t0` for some `t0`. But there's no reason for GHC to believe this, so it reports an error.

One may say "Well, GHC should just decide that `a1` must be `SNat t0` and get on with it." But, that is tantamount to arguing that `foo :: a -> a; foo True = False` should type-check, by saying that GHC should decide that `a` is `Bool`. It's the same thing in the `SBTree` case: we just don't know enough to assume that `a1` should be an `SNat`.

> Why does it care? (is this my OO type head getting in the way)

This doesn't look, in particular, like a question from a recovering OO programmer. It's a good question to ask and a hard part to figure out.

I hope this helps!
Richard