[Haskell-cafe] Improvements to package hosting and security

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Thu Apr 30 08:37:01 UTC 2015

On 30-04-2015 09:21, Michael Snoyman wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 10:08 AM Jeremy <voldermort at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Mathieu Boespflug-4 wrote
>>> We're not introducing dependencies on dynamically linked system libraries
>>> that makes tooling hard to distribute. We're not asking users to install
>>> anything new that isn't already a staple of most developer desktops
>>
>> My sole concern with this is that git is often not present on build
>> servers,
>> which may be minimal cloud VMs. Here's what I get when I try to install git
>> on mine:
>>
>> # apt install git --no-install-recommends
>> The following NEW packages will be installed:
>>   git git-man libcurl3-gnutls liberror-perl libexpat1 libgdbm3 perl
>> perl-modules
>> 0 upgraded, 8 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
>> Need to get 10.4 MB of archives.
>> After this operation, 57.2 MB of additional disk space will be used.
>>
>> Not unbearable, but not insignificant either.
>>

> One possible workflow[1] would be to have a dedicated system that uses Git
> and GPG to pull the current versions of all packages and verify signatures.
> That system could then create a snapshot of that information that could
> simply be downloaded by a build server. In fact, there could even be a
> public server available providing that functionality, with the caveat that-
> like today- you'd need to trust that server to not be compromised.

Isn't this just another moving part? (Moving parts are generally
considered bad news when you're trying to engineer a secure system.)

And has there been any review of git wrt. if it is robust to malicious
servers? (E.g. if I do a "git fetch", can the server I happen to be
talking to just spew data at the client indefinitely to, for example,
fill up its disk or to prevent it from ever progressing?)

Regards,