[Haskell-cafe] Prime ``sieve'' and Haskell demo

Ertugrul Söylemez ertesx at gmx.de
Mon Apr 27 13:57:28 UTC 2015

>> How about simply changing `sieve` to `trialDiv`?  It's not that I
>> don't like the given example, because it gives a very small use case
>> for laziness that is difficult enough to reproduce in an eagerly
>> evaluated language.
>
> Is it really so difficult to reproduce in a strict language? Here is
> that Haskell example in OCaml
>
> let primes =
>   let rec trialDiv (Cons (p,xs)) =
>     Cons (p, lazy (trialDiv @@ filter (fun x -> x mod p <> 0) @@ Lazy.force xs))
>   in trialDiv @@ iota 2
>
> [...]

OCaml, given `lazy`, is not eagerly evaluated.  You are using lazy
evaluation.  In many modern languages laziness can be reproduced by
abusing first class functions.

However, you are using another important feature unconsciously: sharing.
That one is not as easy to reproduce in a language that doesn't give you
built-in laziness like Haskell or (apparently) OCaml.  You would need to
write a wrapper type with destructive update first.

> That's really all there is to it. I should stress that the typechecker
> won't lets us forget about lazy and force!

I have very little experience with OCaml, but that's probably because
the language does not consider lazily evaluated values to be
semantically equivalent to their eager counterparts.

If you believe that `lazy x` and `x` represent the same value
semantically, then it's fine not to be explicit about forcing.  This
gives you the advantage that non-strict functions are lazily evaluated
by default and you can "strictify" them.  The other direction is not
possible.

> The stress on laziness in Haskell is difficult to understand given how
> easy it is to use laziness in essentially any language if needed.

It depends on your paradigms and idioms.  After almost 7 years of
Haskell I'm clearly in the lazy-by-default mindset so much that I find
it difficult to program in an eager-by-default language.  If I'd write
OCaml code it would probably be cluttered with lazy wrappers.

> Incidentally, given below is a real sieve of Eratosthenes, written as
> a *very* concurrent program, where all the concurrency primitives
> (including Haskell-like mvars) are implemented with delimcc.  (The
> example is an elaboration of the code kindly sent by Christophe
> Deleuze, July 18, 2012). The full code is part of the delimcc
> distribution.
>
> [...]

Interesting program.  Something (semantically) similar can be
implemented using laziness, but the result is very slow compared to a
sieve implemented by bit operations.  I can't judge the efficiency of
your program without trying it, but I expect it to be similar.

If you want the stream to be infinite, partial sieves are almost as fast
as regular sieve (and probably faster due to better cache behaviour) and
run in constant memory.

Greets,
Ertugrul