[Haskell-cafe] Ord for partially ordered sets

Tikhon Jelvis tikhon at jelv.is
Fri Apr 24 17:26:42 UTC 2015

I would be hesitant about adding an Ord instance normally, because there's
no clear semantics for it. If we just pass it through to the underlying
data structure, it might behave differently depending on how you implement
the graph, which is something fgl should ideally abstract over.

Maybe you could provide them in a newtype yourself, in the library? You
could call it something like GrKey to make it clear that it has an Ord
instance for practical reasons rather than because graphs are meaningfully
orderable. This just forces people who need the capability to be a bit more
explicit about it.