[Haskell-cafe] Help wanted with Wiki.Haskell.Org

John MacFarlane jgm at berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 21 18:21:06 UTC 2015

+++ Yitzchak Gale [Apr 21 15 14:02 ]:
>Henning Thielemann wrote:
>> I'd much prefer to have a gitit/pandoc/markdown
>> Wiki were I can pull the whole wiki and manipulate
>> it offline.
>Perhaps the migration would be easier this time due
>to better tooling. Does pandoc support MediaWiki input?
>If not, we could write a backend for it.

Yes, pandoc can convert from MediaWiki (not perfectly,
but pretty well).

Last time this issue came up (2012), I produced a
proof-of-concept gitit clone of the haskellwiki.
I've reactivated it here: http://haskellwiki.gitit.net/
(Of course, the last commit was in 2012.)

I used a custom script
(https://github.com/jgm/hw2gitit/blob/master/hw2gitit.hs)
to convert it.  At the time, pandoc didn't read MediaWiki,
so I parsed the HTML and converted this to Markdown.
This worked fairly well.

It might probably make more sense now to directly parse
the MediaWiki source using pandoc.

John