[Haskell-cafe] Improvements to package hosting and security

Duncan Coutts duncan at well-typed.com
Thu Apr 16 09:34:03 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

As I mentioned previously on the commercialhaskell list, we're working
on Hackage security for the IHG at the moment.

We've finally written up the design for that as a blog post:

http://www.well-typed.com/blog/2015/04/improving-hackage-security

It includes a section at the end comparing in general terms to this
proposal (specifically Chris's part on package signing).

The design is basically "The Update Framework" for Hackage. Our current
implementation effort for the IHG covers the first part of that design.

http://theupdateframework.com/

I think TUF addresses many of the concerns that have been raised in this
thread, e.g. about threat models, what signatures actually mean etc.

It also covers the question of making the "who's allowed to upload what"
information transparent, with proper cryptographic evidence (albeit
that's in the second part of the design).

So if collectively we can also implement the second part of TUF for
Hackage then I think we can address these issues properly.

Other things worth noting:
      * This will finally allow us to have untrusted public mirrors,
        which is the traditional approach to improving repository
        reliability.
      * We're incorporating an existing design for incremental updates
        of the package index to significantly improve "cabal update"
        times.

I'll chip in elsewhere in this thread with more details about how TUF
(or our adaptation of it for hackage) solves some of the problems raised
here.

Duncan

--
Duncan Coutts, Haskell Consultant