[Haskell-cafe] [haskell-infrastructure] Improvements to package hosting and security

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Wed Apr 15 12:34:06 UTC 2015

I've given plenty of concrete attack vectors in this thread. I'm not going
to repeat all of them here. But addressing your "simpler idea": how do we
know that the claimed person actually performed that action? If Hackage is
hacked, there's no way to verify *any* such log. With a crypto-based
system, we know specifically which key is tied to which action, and can
invalidate those actions in the case of a key becoming compromised.

There are no nebulous claims going on here. Hackage is interacting with
users in a way that is completely susceptible to MITM attacks. That's a
fact, and an easily exploitable attack vector for someone in the right
position in the network. I'm also precisely *not* recommending we tack
security things on top: I'm proposing we design a secure system from the
ground up.

Also, if we're going to talk about nebulous, let's start with the word
"enterprise sounding." That's an empty criticism, and I should hope we're
above that kind of thing.