[Haskell-cafe] Improvements to package hosting and security

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Wed Apr 15 05:08:43 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 8:02 AM Greg Weber <greg at gregweber.info> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 9:50 PM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I think you've summarized the security aspects of this nicely.
>> There's also the reliability and availability guarantees we get from a
>> distributed system, but that's outside the realm of security (unless you're
>> talking about denial of service).
>>

> Is it possible to separate out the concept of trusted revisions from a
> distributed hackage (into 2 separate proposals) then?
> If Hackage wanted to it could implement trusted revisions. Or some other
> (distributed or non-distributed) package service could implement it (as
> long as the installer tool knows to check for revisions there, perhaps this
> would be added to Chris's signing tooling).

It would be a fundamental shift away from how Hackage does things today. I
think the necessary steps would be:

1. Hackage ships all revisions to cabal files somehow (personally, I think
it should be doing this anyway).
2. We have a list of trustees who are allowed to edit metadata. The signing
work already has to recapture that information for allowed uploaders since
Hackage doesn't collect GPG keys
3. Every time a revision is made, the person making the revision would need
to sign the new revision

I'm open to other ideas, this is just what came to mind first.

Michael