[Haskell-cafe] Haskell-programming sysadmin opportunity at SFLC

Clint Adams clint at debian.org
Thu Apr 2 19:38:16 UTC 2015

The Software Freedom Law Center is seeking a motivated systems
administrator for our small office, where we use only free and open
source software. The Systems Administrator will be responsible for three
main areas of work: systems maintenance, user support, and systems
development.

Our existing systems are a collection of Debian servers that provide
central services to the office. In addition to Debian, we use:

-   Apache
-   Asterisk
-   Ceph
-   deets
-   dirvish and BoxBackup
-   Ganeti with Xen and KVM
-   Gitolite
-   Hakyll
-   hledger and hledger-web
-   Ikiwiki
-   Monkeysphere
-   Nginx
-   OpenLDAP
-   OpenVPN
-   Postfix/SpamAssassin/Dovecot
-   Radicale
-   Yesod

as well as a number of other systems. Ideal candidates will have
experience with most of these components and the ability to quickly
master the ones they know less about. As our new Systems Administrator,
you will be responsible for maintaining and rebuilding our servers as
necessary so some knowledge of server components and hardware
configuration will be needed. You should have experience with firewall
management and secure network design. Experience with low-latency
bandwidth shaping preferred. Programming experience with Perl, Python,
Haskell, and shell scripts will also be necessary for maintaining
legacy systems.

In addition to the servers, you will also be responsible for supporting
5—10 desktop users with their daily use of free software. Additional
help with this activity is available around the office and many users
are self-supporting for local system issues. All office user machines
are running Debian.

You will be frequently tasked with other functions, which may include
code analysis, explaining technological concepts and licensing to
lawyers, community outreach, and anything else which may require
technical expertise.

We intend to continue to improve our free software technology for
running our law practice. There are many challenging projects we’d like
to do and about which we hope you will be excited. Experience working
with software development in addition to systems administration is
therefore a big plus.

Position includes full benefits.

Please submit a cover letter and resume in a free document format to
officemanager at softwarefreedom.org

Applications should be submitted no later than April 15, 2015