[Haskell-cafe] An Easy Solution to PVP Bounds and Cabal Hell

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 15:08:52 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 10:53 AM, Thomas Tuegel <ttuegel at gmail.com> wrote:

> [2]. If you've never had an upper bounds problem on a package you
> maintain, I'm happy for you, but there is mounting evidence that as a
> community, we are very bad guessers, on average.

I think upper bound with easy way to "slip" it (--allow-newer, as already
implemented) is the best we can do. There's already a lot of evidence that
guessing wrong in the other direction can and does break large chunks of
the ecosystem --- as much as certain developers would prefer to ignore the
fact and/or arrange that everyone other than them has to deal with the
breakage.