[Haskell-cafe] ANN: Nomyx 0.7 beta, the only game where you can change the rules

Corentin Dupont corentin.dupont at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 10:31:52 UTC 2014

Hello everybody!
I released Nomyx <http://www.nomyx.net> V0.7, the only game where You can
change the rules!
Here is the website: www.nomyx.net
Here is a video introduction of the game: http://vimeo.com/58265498
I created a tutorial to learn how to play:
http://www.corentindupont.info/blog/posts/2014-09-23-first-Nomyx-tutorial.html

Let's start a new game! I propose to call it "The Space Merchants". Dear
rulers, this part of the Galaxy is yours...
Please login to the game here: www.nomyx.net:8000/Nomyx.
The corresponding forum thread is here:
http://www.nomyx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1525&p=1739
Please also register on the mailing list to follow the game:
nomyx-game at googlegroups.com

Some background: this is an implementation of a Nomic [1] game in Haskell
(I believe the first complete implementation of a Nomic game on a
computer). In a Nomyx game you can change the rules of the game itself
while playing it. The players can submit new rules or modify existing ones,
thus completely changing the behaviour of the game through time. The rules
are managed and interpreted by the computer. They must be written in the
Nomyx language <http://hackage.haskell.org/package/Nomyx-Language>, which
is a subset of Haskell.

At the beginning, the initial rules are describing:
- how to add new rules and change existing ones. For example a unanimity
vote is necessary to have a new rule accepted.
- how to win the game. For example you win the game if you have 5 rules
accepted.
But of course even that can be changed!

New in this beta release:
- the Nomyx language is now based on functional reactive programming
- the language also embeds a mechanism to separate effectful instructions
from effectless ones
- ability to fork an existing game into a new one
- ability to type-check rules before submitting them
- ability to create new games

If you wanna help developing Nomyx, join us on the dev mailing-list:
dev-game at googlegroups.com <nomyx-game at googlegroups.com>

Cheers,
Corentin

[1] www.nomic.net