[Haskell-cafe] Sum and Product do not respect the Monoid laws

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 03:38:03 UTC 2014

For anything to be a Monoid (or any type class with laws), you implicitly
have a definition of equivalence you want your laws to use.  And for many
classes, those laws are using an equivalence not definable using Eq.  A
good example Is monad! You can not define Eq instances for arbitrary a-> m
b.  We can still define and talk about lawful monads.

Point of order though, no Num  a instance has a Monoid  a instance.