[Haskell-cafe] Sum and Product do not respect the Monoid laws

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 19:41:58 UTC 2014

for equational laws to be sensible requires a sensible notion of equality,
the Eq for Floating point numbers is
meant for handling corner cases (eg: am i about to divide by zero), not
"semantic/denotational equivalence"

Exact equality is fundamentally incorrect for finite precision mathematical
computation.
You typically want to have something like

nearlyEq  tolerance a b = if distance a b <= tolerance then True else False

Floating point is geometry, not exact things
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/ieee754-0.7.3/docs/Data-AEq.html
is a package that provides an approx equality notion.

Basically, floating points work the way they do because its a compromise
that works decently for those who really need it.
If you dont need to use floating point, dont! :)