[Haskell-cafe] Copyright field vs. License file

Alexander Batischev eual.jp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 17:01:53 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 10:16:24AM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> A notable exception are the GPL-licensed packages; these usually don’t
> have copyright information in the license.

JFTR: they put it into the source files. Into *each one*. Quoting "How
to use GNU licenses for your own software"[1]:

> Whichever license you plan to use, the process involves adding two
> elements to each source file of your program: a copyright notice (such
> as “Copyright 1999 Terry Jones”), and a statement of copying
> permission, saying that the program is distributed under the terms of
> the GNU General Public License (or the Lesser GPL).

Now that's what I'd call "hard to parse".

[1]: https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

--
Regards,
Alexander Batischev

PGP key 356961A20C8BFD03
Fingerprint: CE6C 4307 9348 58E3 FD94  A00F 3569 61A2 0C8B FD03