[Haskell-cafe] Hackage package "synopsis" sections

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 18:24:09 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>
wrote:

> I don't think I can make my point any clearer. I demonstrated that the bug
> I brought up four years ago still exists, that a separate file makes more
> sense, that people are more familiar with markdown, that existing tools
> (editors and sites like Github) already have very solid Markdown support.
> You've used the same argument multiple times: Markdown has multiple
> flavors. I get it, you don't like Markdown. You made that clear. But many
> others- myself included- *do* like Markdown, and want to be able to use it.
> Your arguments don't convince me that my desires are invalid.

I don;t see where you have, ever, even tried to address the concerns of
incompatibility, including backward incompatibility. Should I assume that,
since you have never had trouble with this (probably because you consider
it a "bug" in haddock, the claim to said bug of course actually being that
it ever existed in the first place --- if you actually think about the
implications...), nobody else should ever have had such problems either?

Basically, while you claim that Mateusz's entire argument is "he doesn't
like Markdown", *your* entire argument boils down to "everyone but Me is
wrong with a side helping of "whoever invented Haddock forgot to get My
blessing first". Talking past each other in such way is not constructive.