[Haskell-cafe] Hackage package "synopsis" sections

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Tue Sep 16 17:04:16 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 6:58 PM, Mateusz Kowalczyk <fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 09/16/2014 05:13 AM, Michael Snoyman wrote:
>
> > So again, I really like the idea of doing the same thing for synopses as
> we
> > have already for changelogs.
>
> I also do, I am here merely to investigate why Markdown is so strongly
> preferred when Haddock does the job. Yes, the escaping was really bad in
> the past. Yes, it had some weird bugs. Yes, it has been fixed. To my
> knowledge, we have zero bugs open on the issue tracker[5]. There are
> some that are to do with GHC lexer + parser but those are not relevant
> at all here. If you know of bugs then please report them.

I don't think I can make my point any clearer. I demonstrated that the bug
I brought up four years ago still exists, that a separate file makes more
sense, that people are more familiar with markdown, that existing tools
(editors and sites like Github) already have very solid Markdown support.
You've used the same argument multiple times: Markdown has multiple
flavors. I get it, you don't like Markdown. You made that clear. But many
others- myself included- *do* like Markdown, and want to be able to use it.
Your arguments don't convince me that my desires are invalid.

I'm not opposed to Hackage supporting multiple flavors of README files
(much like Github does). But I really dislike someone saying "you shouldn't
be able to edit in the file format that you like, because I have an
objection to it." If you don't like Markdown, don't use it. But please
don't tell me "Haddock markup is sufficient, you should use that." If
you're hearing that "Markdown is so strongly preferred," maybe you should
accept that people prefer Markdown.

So my ideal is: Hackage chooses some Markdown implementation- I don't
really care which too much- and adds support for README.md files. It can
also add support for README.html, README.haddock, README.asciidoc, and
README.klingon for all I care. If people run into problems because Github
flavored Markdown is different than Hackage flavored Markdown... well,
that's a situation that people using Markdown are used to already, and have
come to terms with. I won't be put off by that. I already encounter that
when I copy-paste something from a Stack Overflow answer into a Reddit
comment. I can deal with it. People with objections to Markdown are
perfectly free to use whatever syntax they want as well.

Michael