[Haskell-cafe] Hello and type-level SKI

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com
Tue Sep 16 02:37:59 UTC 2014

On Sat, 13 Sep 2014, Tslil Clingman <tslil.clingman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Right, so to be fair a more accurate description would have been: `It
> can be shown that GHC with numerous extensions gives rise to a type
> system which is Turing Complete', my mistake. I certainly didn't mean to
> mislead anyone.
>
> All too often I conflate Haskell (2010 or so) and the capabilities of
> GHC -- this is a trap which ensnares many, I suspect.
>
> --
> Yours &c.,
> Tslil

Dear Tslil, my exclamation was with tongue part way in cheek, so
no worry as far as I am concerned.  I do not know much about
Haskell, and less about GHC, but I am slowly learning.  I am
still not sure how far modifications to the type
inferencer/checker affect the code produced, beyond whether any
code at all is output.  My guess today is that that most of the
time, no matter what extensions are invoked, if the source
type-checks, then we get the same Core output.

I am still smiling at your S, K, I, and Andras's Eval.

oo--JS.