[Haskell-cafe] Hackage package "synopsis" sections

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Mon Sep 15 23:36:34 UTC 2014

On 09/15/2014 09:11 PM, Michael Snoyman wrote:
> I've had cases where some code I wanted to put in an example could not be
> expressed in haddock due to escaping rules.

The parser has been improved and the escaping rules have been made
saner. You shouldn't have real problems since 2.14 release which came
out along with GHC 7.8.1. If you have problems with escaping then I'd
like to hear about it on the issue tracker rather than stumbling upon
complaints on café.

I think just about the only thing nowadays that might surprise people is
that tokens stretch over newlines but this is by design, especially
considering one can embed code.

> I would much rather be able to
> write a synopsis in markdown, or asciidoc, or HTML, rather than haddock
> markup.

As I mention on the other e-mail, you can now use pandoc to achieve
this. If people really care then it should not be difficult to
co-ordinate with cabal + Hackage and make it parse your favourite format
and splice it into synopsis.

I'd quite like the complaints about the existing Haddock markup, the
rules are pretty damn close to what Markdown uses.

--
Mateusz K.