[Haskell-cafe] Hackage package "synopsis" sections

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Mon Sep 15 23:30:32 UTC 2014

On 09/16/2014 12:22 AM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 6:54 PM, Jonathan Paugh <jpaugh at gmx.us> wrote:
>
>> IIRC, adding Markdown to Hadock was suggested on this list before, and
>> the major argument against it was that Markdown didn't have a standard.
>>

> The biggest argument against it is that several Markdown conventions
> conflict with existing Haddock conventions, so you don't get to mix and
> match and you may have to specify which convention you're using. Note that
> a flag day to deprecate the old Haddock is not an option, unless you are
> offering to rewrite the haddocks of every existing package.

This part is actually only an implementation detail, the original idea
was to have a {-# OPTIONS_HADDOCK Markdown #-} pragma. It would require
we re-order how we deal with pragmas but this is not a good argument
against.

You would of course have problems if you tried to use older Haddock on a
new, Markdown'd module but it could be mostly mitigated by co-ordinating
with GHC release + talking with the Hackage folk to use a new version.

--
Mateusz K.