[Haskell-cafe] Hackage package "synopsis" sections

Tikhon Jelvis tikhon at jelv.is
Mon Sep 15 18:28:38 UTC 2014

Genuinely curious: do you think a `Synopsis.md` would be that much easier
than the current system with a potentially long description in the .cabal
file? I could see a case either way. Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding the
distinction.

On the one hand, a separate file makes organization easier and markdown is
a known quantity; on the other, it seems functionally equivalent to what we
*can* do now albeit with Haddock syntax and in a file full of other
details.

I could see why a file would be easier, and maybe that's enough to
encourage more people to write one. We could even have .cabal just render
the existing README file or something! On the other hand, that would take
some effort and sometimes using Haddock markup and sometimes using markdown
would be confusing.

Maybe we could have a guerrilla campaign of pull requests adding examples
and a bit of explanation to every package you like that doesn't have
them... That could also be a good way for beginners who want to contribute
to start.