[Haskell-cafe] Hello and type-level SKI

Andras Slemmer 0slemi0 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 08:11:43 UTC 2014

-XUndecidableInstances gives it away in its name. Neither type checking or
inference is decidable if you turn this extension on. It lifts some serious
restrictions from type classes and type families that normally ensure that
constraint computation/type functions normalise.
I have also written a "proof" of turing completeness of
UndecidableInstances a while ago: https://github.com/exFalso/TypeRegister
This implements register machines in the type system, which are known to be
turing complete. There are a few examples at the bottom, including an
infinite loop.
If you load it up in ghci and say (1 :: Inf) - which is just checking the
type - it will stack overflow.