[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] haddock-2.15-0, haddock-api-2.15-0, haddock-library-1.1.1

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 03:45:45 UTC 2014

On 09/03/2014 01:00 AM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
> On 3 September 2014 07:16, Mateusz Kowalczyk <fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 08/31/2014 02:50 PM, Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'd like to announce the release of Haddock 2.15.0.
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> [1]: https://github.com/haskell/haddock/issues
>>>

>> Oops, something I forgot to mention:
>>
>> 1. {-# OPTIONS_HADDOCK show-extensions #-} will probably become the
>> default from next release. Of course you'll be able to switch it off if
>> you don't like it but you'll have to do so explicitly.
>
> If this is the case, will there be any way of documenting why a
> potentially "scary" extension (e.g. UndecidableInstances) is being
> used?

No official way and no plan to ever support documenting extensions:
adding the code to the GHC lexer and extracting it back out of the API
is a lot of work. Trying to decide how the show it in the documentation
is probably equally as hard. If someone *really* thinks they need this,
I'll be happy to review their patch for the whole thing ;). I don't
actually know of anyone ever asking for such a thing (yet!).

Personally I recommend using either the module header to say why the
extension is used or documenting your class/instance. Header is probably
better for consistency if you do this a lot and in the HTML it appears
near the box that houses the extension list.

>> 2. We will remove ‘frames’ unless someone want to step up and fix the
>> two issues related to them: #114 and #274. Hackage strips the link out
>> from the JavaScript we ship so barely anyone knows or uses them but if
>> you uploaded your own docs then you'll have them. If you like them then
>> please step up to fix them or they will have to go.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Mateusz K.

Mateusz K.