[Haskell-cafe] Hackage inconsistent? (pandoc.cabal in 1.13.1)

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Oct 29 07:40:42 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 05:22:26PM -0400, Carter Schonwald wrote:
> per se, thats what hackage DOES now. Though it is valid to want some
> sort of +patchlevel suffix to be visible for distro engineering
> purposes or such.
>
> Speaking as a hackage trustee, this .cabal editing facility has been
> a VERY VERY good thing overall. A lot of problems have been
> prevented because of it, and that its creating new problems that
> haven't existed before should be considered a testament to its
> success! ;)

If you define success as "swapping one set of problems for another",
then we have very different definitions of success ;)

Seriously though, I don't doubt that the feature has value *for some
users* it's just a bit unfortunate that it was implemented in a way
that detracts value for other users.  Especially when I suspect there
is a very easy way to implement it that wouldn't have impacted those
other users at all.

I'm not a cabal-install user, so I'm curious to hear how this change
works with cabal-install 1.18.0.5, which is what we package in
ArchHaskell.  Any problems with that?  If so, will support for this
feature be backported?

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Goto labels should be left-aligned in all caps and should include the
programmer's name, home phone number, and credit card number.
     -- Abdul Nizar