[Haskell-cafe] Polymorphic functions over string libraries

gonzaw gonzaw308 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 23:05:43 UTC 2014

Yes, I don't explicitly want to make any assumptions about encoding. I want
to make it general enough, so that if I encounter a situation where I DO
have to make assumptions about the encoding, I can easily use Text (instead
of whatever I was using before). If I have to start making assumptions about
other things, then I could easily change it to other string libraries.

Thanks for the responses, I think switching to classy-prelude might be the
easiest one (it also forces good practices).

How do those other libraries compose with Prelude, and other modules from
base? For instance, does ListLike compose well with Data.Foldable?
Same with mono-traversable. Does MonoFunctor compose well with Functor? Is
there an easy "glue" code to, for instance, pass any Functor to a function
that expects a MonoFunctor and make it work? Idem with other typeclasses.

Basically, I think all of these seem great, but I'm concerned about getting
"stuck" with them alone, and not being able to use all the other countless
great libraries with them because of compatibility issues.