[Haskell-cafe] looking for ongoing Haskell projects ..

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Sun Oct 19 17:50:02 UTC 2014

On 10/19/2014 02:11 PM, Henk-Jan van Tuyl wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 08:31:55 +0200, Vasili I. Galchin
> <vigalchin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Fellow Haskellers,
>>
>>       I was just reading at http://www.haskell.org. I am looking for a
>> list
>> of currently active Haskell projects needing help .. :-)
>>
>> Vasili
>

> wxHaskell[0] could use your support very well, I hope others will join in
> as well. wxHaskell can be used for both game and serious software, but
> could use more support.
>

> What is it?
> -----------

I hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread a bit for few questions.

> wxHaskell is a portable and native GUI library for Haskell. The goal of
> the project is to provide an industrial strength GUI library for Haskell,
> but without the burden of developing (and maintaining) one ourselves.
>
> wxHaskell is therefore built on top of wxWidgets – a comprehensive C++
> library that is portable across all major GUI platforms; including GTK,
> Windows, X11, and MacOS X. Furthermore, it is a mature library (in
> development since 1992) that supports a wide range of widgets with the
> native look-and-feel.
> The wxHaskell project[0] could use more participants.

I'm a bit confused: you say it's a native GUI library but then say it's
built on top of a C++ library.

We might be interested in a wxHaskell frontend for Yi. Can you compare
it to gtk2hs a bit? Notably, we get complaints that gtk2hs is hard to
install outside of Linux, even though it does run on those platforms. Is
the situation better with wxHaskell? Can one embed pango in it?

Are there any non-trivial, cross-platform programs out there currently
that are using wxHaskell?

--
Mateusz K.