[Haskell-cafe] Precise timing

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 02:19:54 UTC 2014

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 9:36 PM, Jeffrey Brown <jeffbrown.the at gmail.com>
wrote:

> threadDelay is guaranteed
> <http://hackage.haskell.org/package/base-4.7.0.1/docs/Control-Concurrent.html#v:threadDelay>
>
>  to wait at least as long, but potentially longer than, what the caller
> specifies. Another potential problem could be buffering in printf.
> (Eventually I intend to replace the printf statement with OSC output to a
> sound generator.)

This isn't going to be solved completely within Haskell; the behavior of
threadDelay is the behavior of the system scheduler for a normal process,
possibly modified by garbage collection delays. You'll need to switch the
process to a realtime scheduling class to remove --- or at least reduce ---
the OS's contribution to the uncertainties in sleep times.