[Haskell-cafe] beginnners book

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Fri Oct 17 20:07:20 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Roelof Wobben <r.wobben at home.nl> wrote:

>  Mike Meyer schreef op 17-10-2014 21:28:
>
> Since we've already pointed out some non-books, I'll point you at:
> https://www.fpcomplete.com/school/starting-with-haskell
>
>  That includes three intro books: a course textbook from a Yale CS intro
> to Haskell, an online book intended for experienced programmers, and a book
> written specifically for the School of Haskell. Being on the SoH gives you
> two advantages: 1) exercises are presented as active code snippets that you
> can edit and run in your browser, which means 2) you don't have to figure
> out how to get a Haskell environment set up on your system.
>

> I have looked at the course but I cannot figure out which beginners course
> is the best.

As with any such question, that depends on what you want, what you already
know and how you learn. If you're an experienced programmer who wants to
write or maintain Haskell code, I'd recommend "Fast and Hard." If you're
interested in functional programming and want to use Haskell to learn about
it, then try "Introduction to". If you're more curious about Haskell, then
try "Basics of".