[Haskell-cafe] Best way to Introduce FP into a dev team with many C, C++ and Java developers?

Birmjin In yinbirmjin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 02:00:13 UTC 2014

Hi,

Recently our development team had decided to attempt using Haskell or Scala
as one of our programming language.

(We had hoped some of our problem will be addressed through taking
advantage of some element of FP, like immutability and Rx)

Most of our team members have fairly good knowledge of C, C++ and Java. And
few of them, including myself, have been self-studying a FP language like
Haskell and Scala since last year. Besides some early starters, functional
programming is quite new to us.

When we held a lecture on FP, we found many of our developers were
struggling in grasping some idea of FP.

They fumbled with writing functional programming style code. We kept on
lecturing several times, but still not quite successful.

It seems more difficult than it looks - thinking in functional programming
way for the long time C, C++ and Java developers.

Does anyone had an experience with initiating FP adoption into a large dev
team without pain?

Our development team has around 300+ people.

Thanks.