[Haskell-cafe] Splicing type signature in TH

Michael Sloan mgsloan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 00:20:24 UTC 2014

Hmm, did you try to compile that code?  FunT doesn't exist. The
definition of f should be:

f :: Q Type -> Q Exp
f m = m >>= \t -> return $ SigE (VarE 'id) (AppT (AppT ArrowT t) t)

Or, better yet:

f = fmap (\t -> SigE (VarE 'id) (AppT (AppT ArrowT t) t))

Yes, something like splicef is impossible, and this is exactly the
kind of situation the stage restriction prevents.  Consider how a
usage of 'splicef' would need to work.  Since the type is only known
when compiling an invocation of it, this is also when code generation
would need to happen.  If it's used polymorphically within a function,
then *that* function would also need to be recompiled for each of its
invocations.  In other words, it would need to be like C++ templates,
rather than Haskell's normal polymorphic functions.

Here's the best thing I can think of that might be useful (using typed
expressions, because why not!).  What's your usecase?

{-# LANGUAGE TemplateHaskell #-}

module A where

import Data.Typeable
import Language.Haskell.Meta.Parse (parseType)
import Language.Haskell.TH

liftT :: Typeable a => a -> Q Type
liftT x = either fail return $ parseType $ show $ typeOf x

splicef :: Typeable a => a -> Q (TExp (a -> a))
splicef x = do
    ty <- liftT x
    [e|| id :: ty -> ty ||]

someValue :: [(Int, Int)]