[Haskell-cafe] Current state-of-the-art in getting a dev env set up (windows 8)

Michal Antkiewicz mantkiew at gsd.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Oct 10 02:05:52 UTC 2014

Ah, forgot to add that you have to fix the PATH. By default, the platform
installer creates a user variable PATH, which windows 8 automatically
appends at the end of the system PATH. This way doing `cabal install
cabal-install` will update cabal in user space but the platform one will
always be used. So you must "prepend" the path to
`c:\users\....\AppData\Roaming\cabal\bin` at the beginning of the system
PATH to give user space executables priority over platform and global
executables.

In MSYS, get friendly with `hash -r` command when you fiddle with PATHs.

Michal

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 9:57 PM, Michal Antkiewicz <mantkiew at gsd.uwaterloo.ca