[Haskell-cafe] Current state-of-the-art in getting a dev env set up (windows 8)

Alistair Bayley alistair at abayley.org
Fri Oct 10 01:15:13 UTC 2014

What is the current advice for getting a haskell dev env set up on windows?
There's a lot of options, and it can be hard to quickly determine which are
current and which are deprecated/bit-rotted.

For example, apparently cabal sandbox is preferred over cabal-dev these
days.

I've read:
http://onoffswitch.net/started-haskell/
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/304614/haskell-on-windows-setup
http://coldwa.st/e/blog/2013-08-20-Cabal-sandbox.html
http://bob.ippoli.to/archives/2013/01/11/getting-started-with-haskell/

I've installed the latest haskell platform (2014.2), and am using Sublime
Text 2 as my editor. SublimeHaskell is installed, but apparently it needs
aeson, haskell-src-ext, and haddock. cabal install aeson indicates that it
will break unordered-containers-0.2.4.0 and case-insensitive-1.1.0.3, so I
must use --force-reinstalls to get it. I'm doing this in a sandbox, in case
it is a terrible idea.

https://github.com/SublimeHaskell/SublimeHaskell

Not yet sure how I'm going to get the sandbox install of these tools to
work with SublimeHaskell. Presumably some PATH magic?

hdevtools looks cool and seems like it can be used from SublimeHaskell,
although a windows install is from a fork. Will install ghc-mod too.

What else am I missing?

Thanks,
Alistair