[Haskell-cafe] Fingerprinting Haskell Objects

Ozgun Ataman ozataman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 03:16:18 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 5:15 PM, Alexander Kjeldaas <
alexander.kjeldaas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Assuming the Generic instance is a stable interface, I would create a
> traversal of that, feeding directly into a Blake2b-implementation (a fast
> SHA3 finalist, tweaked).
>

> This gives you a cryptographically strong fingerprint, space usage is
> flexible (extract as many bytes as you want), is fast (~1GB/s), and with
> low complexity/external dependencies.
>

> Alexander

Thank you for the reply. My own thinking has been along similar lines of
finding a stable serialization for the record. Hashing is certainly a nice
way to compress the result - one I've used myself in the past. However, can
we really consider Generic a stable interface?