[Haskell-cafe] Several default implementations for instance methods

Andreas Abel abela at chalmers.se
Sat Oct 4 15:44:28 UTC 2014

Consider the following class for an overloaded pretty printer.  For
atomic data (numeric types, String etc.) one would implement
prettyShow, for complex data either pretty or prettyPrec.

 > import Text.PrettyPrint
 >
 > class Pretty a where
 >   pretty      :: a -> Doc
 >   prettyShow  :: a -> String
 >   prettyPrec  :: Int -> a -> Doc

Implementing one of these methods should be enough, giving default
implementations for the other two.

It is easy to get prettyShow and prettyPrec from pretty.

 >   prettyShow = render . pretty
 >   prettyPrec = const . pretty

However, to define pretty from one of the others, I need two default
implementations.

 >   pretty = text . prettyShow
 >   pretty = prettyPrec 0

Is there a way to get this to work?

Workarounds (not entirely satisfactory): Technically, one could define
a cycle of default implementations.  Alternative 1:

 >   pretty       = prettyPrec 0
 >   prettyShow   = render . pretty
 >   prettyPrec _ = text . prettyShow

Problem: Here, if pretty is defined,

 >   prettyPrec _ = text . render . pretty

instead of just

 >   prettyPrec _ = pretty

and (text . render) is not the identity (destroys inner document structure).

Alternative 2:

 >    pretty       = text . prettyShow
 >    prettyShow   = render . prettyPrec 0
 >    prettyPrec _ = pretty

Problem: Here, if prettyPrec is defined,

 >    pretty = text . render . prettyPrec 0

instead of just

 >    pretty = prettyPrec 0

I guess alternative 2 is worse than alternative 1, as one would
usually define prettyPrec to get pretty, and not the otherway round.
But none of these two alternatives really does the job.

andreas.abel at gu.se
http://www2.tcs.ifi.lmu.de/~abel/