[Haskell-cafe] GHC 7.10 GHC-API Changes and proposed changes.

Andrew Gibiansky andrew.gibiansky at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 20:28:58 UTC 2014

I am very much in favor of this. IHaskell does not need this (...yet?), but
I have played around with writing other source-transforming tools, and
having to rely on HSE for parsing and reformatting and relying on GHC API
for interpreting and typechecking is a little bit of a pain.

Besides HaRe, I'd love a tool equivalent to `go fmt` which normalized stuff
like indentation, alignment, and usage of `where` vs `let`, and
automatically applied various changes (of course details are complicated);
that sort of thing requires good support for the sort of work you're doing
in HaRe.

Also, I *very strongly* support any work that goes into improving the GHC
API. Working with it was a nightmare at the beginning due to lack of
documentation, lack of exposed symbols, and other issues.

(That said, I'm also fine with using the dynamic typing approach that was
mentioned elsewhere to avoid an extra type parameter. Have the annotation
be a Dynamic or something. The motivation for this would be to make the
change less intrusive.)

-- Andrew