[Haskell-cafe] Monads: external questions

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Sat Nov 22 17:17:42 UTC 2014

On 2014-11-22 17:56, Alberto G. Corona  wrote:
> Michael:
>
> You are right, but these are minor problems I think, compared with the huge
> potential advantages.
>
>  I can not believe it when a slow immature language like Ruby could take
> over web development just for one library, Rails and some buzzwords, when a
> faster, safer language can do it millions of times better.  Haskell  can
> revolutionize all the industry simply selling it not as one more language,
> but as THE meta-language for building EDSLs for each domain problem. some
> EDSLs so close to the domain problem that can be used by non-programmers.
>
> That lack of vision and effort in the side of the haskell community hurts
> me. And the lack of interest in this ticket
>
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/7870
>
> Is a clear display of this lack of interest.  it is like the Aristocracy of
> the Haskell Wondwerland fears to be hijacked by hordes of mediocre DSL
> villains from the industry, so it is necessary to keep the walls high

Not that I necessarily agree or disagree with what you're saying, but
that is a completely useless ticket. It's *way* too open-ended and
doesn't seem to have very many specifics about what's the desired
feature actually *is*.

I submit that you're likely to get a lot more traction if you actually
worked to specify *exactly* what's the desired feature is, i.e.
*specify* the stripped down algorithm that you want implemented, how
it's going to be integrated with user code, how it can be used to
improve error reporting for EDSLs, etc.

(I believe it's customary to create a Trac Wiki page for any proposed
features.)

> Haskell is a language dominated by academics that has no interest in the
> success of Haskell. On the contrary.

Well, the unofficial Haskell motto *is* "Avoid success at all costs", so
y'know... :)

Regards,