[Haskell-cafe] How to reverse ghc encoding of command linearguments

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 02:35:17 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 2:30 AM, Donn Cave <donn at avvanta.com> wrote:

> quoth Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de>
> > Sorry for the confusion. And thanks for confirming that GHC and the base
> > library do the right thing (if we let them).
>
> Hm, that's my question -- how is this the right thing?

This sounds like a fossil. The first version of trying to support
locales/encoding on POSIX did that to anything with the 8th bit set, IIRC,
rather than make a possibly incorrect guess as to the intended locale
(since POSIX does not support locales here; the argument vector is a list
of octet strings). You could undo it and apply encoding yourself.

I recall there being a "lively" discussion of it back in the day, but not
what list it was on (may have been -cafe or libraries).