[Haskell-cafe] Generating valid html

Oliver Charles ollie at ocharles.org.uk
Thu Nov 13 11:32:33 UTC 2014

Wojtek Narczyński <wojtek at power.com.pl> writes:

> Hello list,
>
> I have a question.
>
> How to create a DSL for HTML generation, that would (statically) allow
> only valid HTML to be generated? Parent - child relations, valid
> attributes only.
>
> Or does such a DSL already exist, perhaps?

I remember that when I was first interested in Haskell, this was
something that I really wanted. While it's a couple of years ago now, I
think all I could find were a few papers/student projects that explored
the idea, but nothing "production ready."

I think to get something that satisfies the HTML schema under *any*
construction should be a more achievable goal with all the features we
have in GHC 7.8, and I might try exploring it again. I think you could
do something a lot like blaze, but work with a very rich GADT
under-the-hood to carry properties of the schema around.

I appreciate this is mostly rambling; I don't have anything I point you
to off hand :)

- ocharles