[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] Haskell FFI Tutorial

Donn Cave donn at avvanta.com
Thu Nov 13 01:41:36 UTC 2014

quoth Richard A. O'Keefe,
> (This actually strikes me as a flaw in Mac OS X:
> `typedef unsigned long tcflag_t;' should have been
> `typedef uint32_t tcflag_t;'
> because there's no _reason_ for the field size to change
> this way.)

True, it's crazy to have structures changing size like that
when the effective size of each field is fixed per standard.

> The fact that the sizes of things can vary between compilation
> environments on the same host is one of the reasons tools like
> hsc2hs are hard.

I have to confess that this was to some degree my error as well -
I was looking at a somewhat elderly hsc2hs output that probably
predated the current architecture and platform level, and when
I run it now, hsc2hs does assign the appropriate size foreign
type and the right offsets.

	Donn