[Haskell-cafe] data analysis question

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Wed Nov 12 11:56:54 UTC 2014

On 12/11/14 05:21, Peter Simons wrote:
> If you'd want to analyze 12 GB of data in Haskell, you'd have to jump
> through all kinds of hoops just to load that CVS file into memory. It's
> possible, no doubt, but pulling it off efficiently requires a lot of
> expertise in Haskell that statistics guys don't necessarily have (and
> arguably they shouldn't have to).

Well, with Haskell you don't have to load the whole data set into
memory, as Michael shows. With R, on the other hand, you do.

Besides, if you're not an R expert, and if the analysis you want to do
is not readily available, it may be quite a pain to implement in R.

As a simple example, I still don't know an acceptable way to write
something like zipWith f (tail vec) vec in R.

Roman