[Haskell-cafe] A Very Simple Type Class Question

Taylor Hedberg t at tmh.cc
Tue Nov 11 21:49:13 UTC 2014

The caller of your function f, rather than the implementation of f, gets to
decide which instance of A f should return. In other words, f's
implementation must be polymorphic in its return type. Your example f
x = x does
not satisfy that property. That implementation has type f :: A a => a -> a,
not the required type f :: (A a, A b) => a -> b.

The error message is saying that, from the class definition, GHC has
deduced that f must return a value of type A b => b, but your
implementation is returning a String (a.k.a. [Char]) instead. The notation b
~ [Char] means "b is equivalent to [Char]".