[Haskell-cafe] `cabal repl` problems

Ömer Sinan Ağacan omeragacan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 15:39:51 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I have a Cabal project that has library, executable and several test
parts. I'd like to be able to load one of the test parts into GHCi
using `cabal repl`. However, I'm having some problems:

(To be more specific, I have these parts in my Cabal file:

- library
- executable myapp
- test-suite test
- test-suite doctests)

- `cabal repl test` tries to load test suite into GHCi but it doesn't
ask me which test suite I want to load. For example, in my Cabal file
I have `test-suite test` and `test-suite doctests`. `cabal test
doctests` runs only doctests but I can't use similar command for repl,
like `cabal repl doctests`.
- `cabal repl test` tries to load the library, but using wrong set of
dependencies. It uses `build-depends` field of `test-suite test` but
it loads `library` sources. Note that `hs-source-dirs` field of
`test-suite test` and `library` are different, and I have my library
in `test-suite test` as a dependency. So the problem is that it tries
to load `library` part using the source, instead of compiled lib.

Any ideas about those?

(Note: `cabal test`, `cabal install`, `cabal run` etc. work fine, my
Cabal file is working)

Thanks.