[Haskell-cafe] installing haskell on ubuntu using apt-get??

Chris Wong lambda.fairy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 08:26:38 UTC 2014

Hi Vasili,

Your problem looks like Cabal hell [1]. The solution to that is to
clear the package database and start over, which should be as simple
as

    rm -r ~/.ghc

As long as you haven't installed packages globally (sudo cabal
install) that should be enough.

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 8:21 PM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> wrote:
> I'd recommend using Herbert's PPA for installing GHC so you get something
> newer. bitemyapp has a good guide[1]. I'd also recommend following the
> Stackage installation guide[2], which builds on top of bitemyapp's guide.
>
> [1] https://github.com/bitemyapp/learnhaskell#getting-started
> [2]
> https://github.com/fpco/stackage/wiki/Preparing-your-system-to-use-Stackage

I second this. Haskell development moves quickly, so it's important to
have (relatively) recent tools.

Once you have Cabal 1.20 installed, I recommend reading up on package
sandboxes too [2]. They can make these version conflicts easier to
deal with in the future.

Chris

[1] http://cdsmith.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/the-butterfly-effect-in-cabal/
[2] http://coldwa.st/e/blog/2013-08-20-Cabal-sandbox.html